Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Envy or contentment



A glance in the wrong direction can easily knock you off course.  I am obsessed with sunrises.  And January seems to have the best!  Too many times I have glanced to behold the beauty and I swerve.  The pinks and oranges and purples and fire-lit blues just beckon me to see.  Like I want to reach out and grab it.  Hold the beauty.  To just sit and be mesmerized.  But wait, I am driving.

Sometimes things in this world can cause us to look in a direction other than the way we are heading.  Not always a good thing, especially while driving.  Distractions can be good or bad. 

Am I the only person alive that can get so consumed by the pretty people designing pretty things and think, why can’t I do that?  Or look that way?  Or be that popular?  Or have those resources?  Or be loved by so many?  Or be that smart?  Or have that house?  Or have that job?  Or live at the beach?  Had to throw that one in there!

Do not let your heart envy sinners, But live in the fear of the Lord always.  Surely there is a future, And your hope will not be cut off.  Listen, my son, and be wise, And direct your heart in the way.  Proverbs 23:17-19 (NASB)

So today I will pray that my focus be on God.  The blessings He has poured out cannot begin to be counted.  Ask Him to direct my heart so that the contentment that only comes from Him places a really dark shadow on what He has NOT chosen for me and brightens (like a gorgeous January sunrise) the gifts He has poured out for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for any shared words. Comments are moderated and may or may not appear to public.