Friday, February 2, 2018

Mistakes and Forgiveness



Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"  Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.  Matthew 18:21-22 (NASB)

I am beginning to think the old saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” is true.  I am struggling here.  The brain power it takes to learn new concepts may prove to exhaust all mental aptitude in me.  Zap it right out of me!

I started a new job last year.  Not necessarily new to me in form but new to me as a more “mature” person.  (Clearing my throat to the word “old!”)  And I just keep making mistakes.  Things that I would consider details that really matter that I miss.  Me, the one who has always considered herself a detail-oriented person.  Like a really obsessive detail freak!

Someone else repairing the damage of my mistakes in the office beside me not saying one word as the repairs are made.  And me, sitting, fuming, thinking how mad I am at myself.  Why can’t I do anything right!?!

Those thoughts are paralyzing.  Steals what little brain cells remain.  Exhausts in a moment to the point of tears.  Sends me quickly to a good old hiding place!  The bathroom.

Yep, I am guilty.  Guilty of making mistakes and hiding.  And then sucking it up, opening the door, returning to the scene of the crime and buckling in to see what additional damage I might do.  Oh!!  Not really.  Determining to try harder.  Strive for excellence.  Know that the work I am doing is not for man but for God!  Poor man has to fix my mistakes.  But God!

He reminds me that forgiveness never fades.  It doesn’t shy away from any monumental mishap I can devise.  It constantly waits and lets me figure out that I am prone to fail.  But God!

He picks me up.  Wipes the tears into His bottle.  Cherishes me.  And places me back on dry land.  On a steady footing.  Armed and ready.

Thankful today for His forgiveness.  You?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for any shared words. Comments are moderated and may or may not appear to public.